Point University was founded as Atlanta Christian College in 1937 by Judge T. O. Hathcock (1879-1966), who served on the bench in Fulton County, Georgia, from 1914 until 1942. He and his wife, Nora Head Hathcock, were members of the independent Christian Church; to this day, the College maintains its affiliation with the Christian Churches and Churches of Christ.
Point University’s main campus is located in West Point, Ga., while its historic campus is located in East Point, Ga., a suburb of Atlanta. The campus is part of a 300-acre farm inherited by Mrs. Hathcock. With a barn, livestock and cultivated fields, the campus in its earliest days had a distinctly rural flavor.
Following its founding, Point University devoted attention primarily to the education of ministers, missionaries and other church-related workers. In 1965, the college became an accredited member of the American Association of Bible Colleges (AABC). In 1990, in conjunction with a broadening of the curriculum, the college was accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award the associate and baccalaureate degrees.* The early childhood education program has earned accreditation by the National Council on Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and the Professional Standards Commission (PSC) of the State of Georgia. The University’s curriculum currently offers majors in areas of study ranging from biblical studies to biology. Degree programs are offered for traditional college students, working adults (Access program), and high school students pursuing dual credit enrollment.
In February 2011, the board of trustees announced that the college’s name would change to Point University on July 1. In fall 2012, the traditional, residential campus relocated to West Point, Ga., and the growing Greater Valley area. Satellite locations currently operate in East Point, Peachtree City and Savannah, Ga., as well as Birmingham, Ala.
The University has had seven presidents: Mr. George W. BonDurant (1937-47), Dr. Orvel C. Crowder (1947-55), Mr. James C. Redmon (1955-78), Mr. Paul K. Carrier (1978-84), Dr. James C. Donovan (1984-93), Dr. R. Edwin Groover (1993-2006), and Mr. Dean C. Collins, who began serving as interim president in 2006 and was appointed president in February 2009.
Click here for a printable version of this document. (PDF)
* Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Point University.