HISTORY OF POINT UNIVERSITY
Point University, formerly Atlanta Christian College, was founded in 1937 by Judge T. O. Hathcock (1879-1966), who served as a judge in Fulton County, Georgia, from 1914 until 1942. He and his wife, Nora Head Hathcock, and the initial trustees were associated with a nondenominational fellowship of churches sometimes referred to simply as Christian churches. The educational program of the University has been and is in harmony with the same biblical perspective and ideals (see below).
For the first 75 years of its history, Point University operated out of East Point, Ga., a suburb of Atlanta. The historic campus was part of a 300-acre farm inherited by Mrs. Hathcock. With a barn, livestock, and cultivated fields, the campus in its earliest days had a distinctly rural flavor.
Following its founding, Point University devoted attention primarily to the education of ministers, missionaries and other church-related workers. In 1965, the University became an accredited member of the American Association of Bible Colleges (AABC). In 1990, in conjunction with a broadening of the curriculum, the University was accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (see below) and voluntarily withdrew from the AABC.
In recent years, the University has added educational programs for working adult students, online degree programs, graduate degree programs, and off-site locations in Peachtree City, Savannah, and Lindbergh/Atlanta. On July 1, 2011 the institution was renamed Point University, and the relocation of the main campus from East Point to West Point, Ga., took place
in summer 2012.
The University has had seven presidents: Mr. George W. BonDurant (1937-47), Dr. Orvel C. Crowder (1947-55), Mr. James C. Redmon (1955-78), Mr. Paul K. Carrier (1978-84), Dr. James C. Donovan (1984-93), Dr. R. Edwin Groover (1993-2006), and Mr. Dean C. Collins, the current president.