Point University was founded as Atlanta Christian College in 1937 by Judge T. O. Hathcock (1879-1966), who served on the bench in Fulton County, Georgia, from 1914 until 1942. Point University’s main campus is located in West Point, GA, while its historic campus was located in East Point, Ga., a suburb of Atlanta. The campus was a part of a 300-acre farm inherited by Mrs. Hathcock. With a barn, livestock and cultivated fields, the campus in its earliest days had a distinctly rural flavor.
Following its founding, Point University devoted attention primarily to the education of ministers, missionaries and other church-related workers. In 1965, the college became an accredited member of the American Association of Bible Colleges (AABC). In 1990, in conjunction with a broadening of the curriculum, the college was accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award the associate and baccalaureate degrees. The early childhood and middle grades education program have earned accreditation by the National Council on Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and the Professional Standards Commission (PSC) of the State of Georgia.
In February 2011, the board of trustees announced that the college’s name would change to Point University on July 1. In fall 2012, the traditional, residential campus relocated to West Point, GA, and the growing Greater Valley area.
The University’s curriculum currently offers majors in areas of study ranging from biblical studies to biology. Degree programs are offered for traditional college students, high school students pursuing dual credit enrollment, working adults and graduate level students. Its main campus is located in West Point, Ga., with various site locations as well as online.
The University has had seven presidents:
- George W. BonDurant (1937-47)
- Orvel C. Crowder (1947-55)
- James C. Redmon (1955-78)
- Paul K. Carrier (1978-84)
- James C. Donovan (1984-93)
- R. Edwin Groover (1993-2006)
- Dean C. Collins (2006–Present)