VA Education Benefits

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides education benefits to eligible Service members, Veterans, and certain dependents and survivors. Information about VA education benefits is available at or call 1-888-442-4551.

Veterans and the dependents of Veterans who are eligible to receive benefits will work with the Point University’s Financial Aid Office.

We are committed to providing direct assistance to you in receiving your educational benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs. Although our main goal is the initiation and assured continuation of educational benefits, we are available to provide supportive services to veterans, national guardsmen, reservists, and eligible beneficiaries enrolled at Point University.

  • GI Bill® Hotline: 1-888-GI-Bill-1 (1-888-442-4551)
  • GI Bill® Comparison Tool – Learn about education programs and compare estimated benefits by school, this tool will help you make the most of your GI Bill® benefit.
  • eBenefits – eBenefits is a joint VA/DoD web portal that provides resources and self-service capabilities to veterans, service members, and their families to research, access and manage their VA and military benefits and personal information.
  • VONAPP – VONAPP is an interactive Web site where veterans can apply for VA Compensation and Pension benefits.
  • GI Bill® Information – This link will direct you to the Veterans Administration page concerning education and training options.
  • Go Army Ed/TA – GoArmyEd is the virtual gateway for all eligible Active Duty, National Guard and Army Reserve Soldiers to request Tuition Assistance (TA) online, anytime, anywhere for classroom and distance learning. It allows soldiers to manage their education records including college classes, testing, on-duty classes and Army Education Counselor support.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at 

milConnect – DoD Associates and Beneficiaries use this site to update personal information, like your entry in the DoD’s Global Address List (GAL), or to check health care coverage, transfer education benefits and retrieve correspondence.

If you intend to have your military transcripts evaluated and transferred for college credit, an official transcript must be submitted to the Admissions Office during the admission process. Once you have been admitted, the student will be notified of transferred credits at student orientation.

Click the following links to find the right scholarship for you:

Applying for Benefits

The veteran must go to to begin the application process through the VA.

Complete FORM 22-1990 if you have NEVER used your educational benefits.

Complete Form 22-5490 if you have NEVER used your educational benefits.

After applying for admission to the university, students should complete the Veterans Enrollment Data Sheet. Please submit the Veterans Enrollment Data Sheet in person or via secure email: This form is to be completed and returned to the Registrar’s Office. At minimum, a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA must accompany the Veterans Enrollment Data Sheet. The veteran will be notified if any other paperwork is required for their specific educational benefit. The student-veteran must supply the Certificate of Eligibility prior to the beginning of early registration each term.


Benefit Programs

Montgomery GI Bill®-Active Duty (MGIB-AD) or Chapter 30 provides up to 36 months of financial assistance for educational pursuits, including college, vocational/technical training, correspondence courses, apprenticeships/on-the-job training, flight training, high-tech training, licensing and certification tests, entrepreneurship training courses, and national examinations. Generally, your MGIB-AD benefits are paid directly to you on a monthly basis.

You may be eligible for MGIB-AD benefits while you are on or after you separate from active duty. At a minimum, you must have a high school diploma or GED. To receive benefits after separating, you must have received an honorable discharge. You generally have 10 years from your last date of separation from active duty to use your MGIB-AD benefits.

There are two ways to obtain a copy of your GI Bill® letter or Certificate of Eligibility:

  1. If you have an eBenefits Level II account, you can:
    • Log onto eBenefits.
    •  On the “Welcome” page, select the “Manage Your Benefits” option at the bottom.
    • Under the “Manage Benefits” option, select the “Status Tracking” option.
    • In the “Education” block, you should see a link for the benefit you are eligible for.
    • Select the “Enrollment Status” Link (Post 9/11 GI Bill®, Montgomery GI Bill®, etc).
    • Print the page entitled “Education Enrollment Status.”
  2. Go to the GI Bill® Website 
    • Select the “Submit a Question” option.
    •  If you have an existing account, log in.
    • If not, you will need to use the “Sign up” link to establish an account.
    • Once you are logged in, select the “Ask a Question” tab at the top.
    • For subject, put “GI Bill® Certificate of Eligibility.”
    • For question, put in something like “I am requesting a duplicate copy of my GI Bill® Certificate of Eligibility be mailed to me.
    • Product is “GI Bill®.”
    • Category is the benefit you are eligible for.
    • Under the benefit you are eligible for, select eligibility.
    • Submit your request.
    • A duplicate Certificate of Eligibility will be mailed to you.

Montgomery GI Bill®-Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) or Chapter 1606 provides up to 36 months of financial assistance for educational pursuits, including college, vocational/technical training, correspondence courses, apprenticeships/on-the-job training, flight training, high-tech training, licensing and certification tests, and national examinations. MGIB-SR benefits are available to members of the Selected Reserve of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard, or the Army or Air National Guard. Generally, your MGIB-SR benefits are paid directly to you on a monthly basis.

You may be eligible for MGIB-SR benefits if you have a six-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve, complete your Initial Active Duty for Training, serve in a drilling unit and remain in good standing, and obtain a high school diploma or equivalency. The Guard and Reserves decide if you are eligible, while VA makes the payments for the program. Generally, your eligibility for MGIB-SR benefits ends on the day you leave the Selected Reserve.

You may be eligible for REAP benefits if you are a member of a reserve component and served on active duty after September 10, 2001, for at least 90 consecutive days under a contingency operation. “Contingency operation” includes the current Iraq and Afghanistan operations and may include other operations. The educational assistance allowance payable under REAP is a percentage of the Montgomery GI Bill®-Active Duty rate based on the number of continuous days you served on active duty. Generally, you have 10 years from the day you leave the Selected Reserve or the day you leave the IRR to use your REAP benefits.

The National Call to Service Program is a Department of Defense program that is administered by VA. It offers certain education benefits to those who serve in a military occupational specialty designated by the Secretary of Defense. To be eligible, you must serve on active duty for 15 months after completing initial entry training. After this, and without a break in service, you must serve either an additional period of active duty or a period of 24 months in an active status in the Selected Reserve. Again, without a break in service, you must serve the remaining period of obligated service:

  • On active duty in the Armed Forces
  • In the Selected Reserve
  • In the Individual Ready Reserve
  • In Americorps, or another domestic national service program jointly designated by the Secretary of Defense and the head of such a program

If you meet the service requirements, you may select one of the following benefits:

  • A cash bonus of $5,000
  • Repayment of a qualifying student loan not to exceed $18,000
  • Entitlement to an allowance equal to the 3-year monthly MGIB-AD rate for 12 months
  • Entitlement to an allowance equal to 50% of the less-than-3-year monthly MGIB-AD rate for 36 months

VA only administers the education options. VA does not issue the cash bonus or repay student loans

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® provides to eligible service members and veterans up to 36 months of education benefits. Your Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits may include financial support for school tuition and fees, books and supplies, and housing. You may also receive reimbursement for license or certification tests (broker, private investigator and CPA), national tests (SAT, CLEP, ACT, GMAT and LSAT), or assistance for apprenticeships/on-the-job training. A one-time payment to help you relocate from certain rural areas to attend school is also available.

Each type of benefit, such as tuition or books, has a maximum rate. Based on the length of your active service, you are entitled to a percentage of the maximum total benefit.

You may be eligible for Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits if you:

  • Have at least 90 aggregate days of qualifying active service after September 10, 2001 or
  • Were honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability after serving at least 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001

If you are in the Armed Forces, you may be able to transfer your Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits to your spouse and child(ren). Generally, you must use your Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits within 15 years from your last period of active service of at least 90 days.

The Post-Vietnam Era Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP) or Chapter 32 is an education benefit available to you if you made contributions from your military pay before April 1, 1987, to participate in this program. Your contributions are matched on a $2 for $1 basis by the Government. You may use these benefits for degree, certificate, correspondence, apprenticeships/on-the-job training, and vocational flight training programs.

Benefit entitlement is 1 to 36 months depending on the number of contributions you made to VEAP. You have 10 years from your release from active duty to use your VEAP benefits. If you have not completely used your entitlement after 10 years, your remaining contributions will be automatically refunded.

The Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) or Chapter 1607 is an education benefit that provides up to 36 months of educational assistance to obtain graduate and undergraduate degrees, vocational/technical training, apprenticeships/on-the-job training, correspondence training, and flight training. REAP benefits are available to members of a reserve component called or ordered to active duty or full-time National Guard duty in response to a war or national emergency, as declared by the President or Congress. Eligible reserve components include: the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard Reserve; the Army National Guard and Air National Guard; and Army, Air Force, Navy, and Marine Corps Individual Ready Reserves (IRR).

Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA) or Chapter 35 provides assistance for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeships/on-the-job training, correspondence courses, and other programs. You must be the son, daughter, or spouse of:

  • A Veteran who died or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise from active service in the Armed Forces.
  • A Veteran who died from any cause while such permanent and total service-connected disability existed.
  • A Servicemember who died during active military service.
  • A Servicemember missing in action or captured in the line of duty by a hostile force.
  • A Servicemember forcibly detained or interned in the line of duty by a foreign government or power.
  • A Servicemember who is hospitalized or receiving outpatient treatment for a service-connected permanent and total disability and is likely to be discharged for that disability.

The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. If you are the child, you generally must use your benefits between the ages of 18 and 26. If you are the spouse, your benefits end 10 years from the date VA finds you eligible or from the date of death of your spouse.

A surviving spouse who meets the criteria below may be eligible for benefits for 20 years from the date of death:

  • VA rated the Veteran permanently and totally disabled with an effective date within three years from discharge, or
  • The Veteran died on active duty

If you’re eligible at the one hundred percent benefit level and you attend a school where tuition and fees exceed the maximum Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefit available by law, additional financial support may be available under our Yellow Ribbon program.

Veteran Students’ Responsibilities

Veteran students at Point University have ongoing responsibilities to the VA and Point University. The student’s entitlement is based upon the number of credit hours for which he or she is enrolled. Current pay rates can be viewed at:

Veteran students must notify the VA Certifying Official of any of the following:

  • Change of degree program
  • Change of address
  • Out more than three semesters
  • Veteran does not want a semester certified

Monthly Verification

All students receiving Chapter 30, Chapter 1606, and Chapter 1607 benefits must verify their monthly enrollment on the last day of each month or after. The benefit (monetary award) will not be released by the VA until this is done. Enrollment verification can be accomplished by using the VA toll-free telephone number at 1-877-823-2378 or the WAVE feature found on the VA website.

University Charges

Students are responsible for paying all university bills. The student MUST adhere to published payment deadlines. Please check your account one week prior to the published payment deadline to confirm amount owed, if any, to Point University. The VA does not pay for mandatory meal plans.

Veterans and survivors/dependents receiving the following benefits – Chapter 30, Chapter 1606, Chapter 1607 and Chapter 35 – are responsible for paying all tuition and fees prior to the published payment deadline.

Veterans receiving Post 9/11 benefits must have a current Certificate of Eligibility on file in our office. Failure to provide the certificate will result in a delay of the certification of enrollment. Also, if the certificate is not on file, the veteran must pay full tuition by the payment deadline.

It normally takes the Atlanta VA processing center 6-8 weeks to process new educational claims, so please plan accordingly.


Contact Financial Aid

Point University - Shape
Point University - Shape

Online Programs

Point University - On-Campus Programs
Point offers more than 25 in-demand fully online programs that are both affordable and flexible, so you can learn on your own schedule from the convenience of your own home – or from anywhere in the world.

Popular Online Programs

Prepare for a career in high-demand fields, spanning every area of commerce.
A.A. / B.S.
Be equipped to work with young children in a variety of settings, preparing activities and environments that foster physical, social, emotional, spiritual, and cognitive development.
Learn to effect positive change and improve the wellbeing of individuals, families, communities, organizations, and the human population as a whole.

On-Campus Programs

Point University - On-Campus Programs
Located in West Point, Georgia, Point University offers students a safe, vibrant atmosphere for them to build a Christ-centered community while earning their degree.
Prepare for a career in high-demand fields, spanning every area of commerce.
B.A. / B.S.
Develop your spiritual gifts, strengthen your faith and enhance your knowledge of Christian principles.
Our counseling degree provides a solid foundation for understanding people and the various ways to help them.