Grievance Policy & Procedure
Point University does not discriminate on the basis of disability. The University has adopted an internal grievance procedure for prompt and equitable resolution of complaints alleging any action prohibited by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) or Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Action of 1973 (29 U.S.C. 794) (“Section 504”).
Section 504 prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability in any program or activity receiving federal financial assistance. Any person who believes he or she has been subjected to discrimination on the basis of disability by the University may file a grievance under this procedure. It is against the law for the University to retaliate against anyone who files a grievance or cooperates in the investigation of a grievance.
All such grievances should be addressed to Director of Disability Services, Jess Mazaheri (706-385-1480). If the grievance is against the director of disability services, the grievance should be addressed to Chief Academic Officer, Darryl Harrison (706-385-1098).
The general grievance procedure for filing an ADA/Section 504 grievance is as follows:
- A grievance should be filed in writing, stating the name and address of the person submitting it and a brief description of the nature of the complaint.
- A grievance should be filed within 30 days after the person became aware of the alleged violation.
- The director of disability services or someone designated by the director shall conduct an investigation of the complaint in an impartial manner. The investigation may be informal, but it will be thorough and afford all interested persons the opportunity to submit evidence and present witnesses relevant to the complaint.
- The director of disability services will issue a written decision on the grievance within 30 days of the filing. The University will take steps to prevent recurrence of any discrimination and to correct discriminatory effects if appropriate.
- The person filing the grievance may appeal the decision of the disability services director to the Chief Academic Officer within 30 days of the adverse decision. The Chief Academic Officer will make a written decision within 30 days of the appeal.
A disability services grievance must be filed within 30 days of the occurrence of the alleged violation using the Disability Services Grievance Form.