Bachelor of Science in Child and Youth Development
Work with children and youth to foster social, spiritual, and cognitive development.
Point’s Bachelor of Science in Child and Youth Development degree prepares servant leaders of children and youth who demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to effectively lead a variety of young learners in a variety of settings. It is designed for students interested in working with children outside the school classroom setting. The program emphasizes the integration of knowledge of human development with the skills and expertise essential for developing, implementing and evaluating effective programs for children, youth and families.
The student selects an area of specialization – Children’s Ministry, Early Childhood (non-licensure), or Youth Programs Administration – and completes a 12-semester-hour internship in the area of specialization.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the theories that underlie the study of child and adolescent growth and development.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how the environment (cultural, community, family, physical, etc.) affects and interacts with an individual’s growth and development.
- Utilize the knowledge, skills, attitudes, Christian behaviors, and positive interpersonal relationships.
The child and youth development comprehensive curriculum is designed to help you develop foundational knowledge in human development, education, and sociocultural contexts. Listed below are some of the courses offered to students:
- Introduction to Counseling
- Media Effects on Children and Adolescents
- Educational Foundations
- Developmental Psychology
View Complete List of Courses for B.S. with specialization in Children’s Ministry
View Complete List of Courses for B.S. with specialization in Early Childhood
View Complete List of Courses for B.S. with specialization in Youth Program Administration
Point’s degree in child and youth development will equip you with the knowledge and tools to launch successful careers across a wide range of industries such as:
- Day care centers
- Community-based programs such as YMCA and Boys & Girls Club
- Youth corrections programs
- Children’s ministry
- Nonprofit early childhood programs
|Dr. Lacey Southerland||Professor of Education||College of Education|
|Dr. James Donovan||Professor of Education||College of Education|
Your faith will be strengthened with courses taught from a biblical worldview—from business to biblical studies, math to ministry.
Point provides mentoring programs with faculty, alumni and local business professionals tailored to your personal and professional goals.
SMALL CLASS SIZE
Our 18-to-1 student to professor ratio provides a small class size where you’re not just a student – you’re family.