Select Page




1. What determines whether or not a student is protected under Section 504?

Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 covers qualified students with disabilities who attend schools receiving federal financial assistance. To be protected under Section 504, a student must be determined to:

  1. have a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities; or
  2. have a record of such an impairment; or
  3. be regarded as having such an impairment.
2. Is there a difference between disability services in high school and University?
There are some differences worthy of note. While Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (IDEA) both protect students with disabilities from discrimination, how the requirements of the law are met in high school and the university are a little different. Your high school district is required to provide a “free appropriate public education (FAPE)” to any student with disabilities within that district. In high school, responsibility for the recognition of a disability, assessment, individualized education plan (IEP) and advocacy rests on the institution, along with parents and a team of professionals. Students are provided special education and auxiliary aids at no cost to parent or student. In some instances, students are separated from the regular academic environment. On the university level, students with disabilities advocate for themselves, self-identify the need for disability services and provide appropriate documentation regarding that disability. At Point University, an accommodation plan is designed for each student. The student functions within a regular academic environment with the assistance of approved reasonable accommodations, auxiliary aids and services provided through the disabilities office. Confidentiality is guarded and only shared with permission of the student.
3. Can I be denied admission to Point because of my disability?

Point University will not deny admission on the basis of a disability. All applicants for admission to Point University are evaluated on the same criteria. Once a student has been admitted to Point, disability services must be requested by completing the Application for Disability Services.

4. Do I have to identify myself as a student with disabilities when I am admitted to Point?

Students do not have to identify themselves as having a disability. However, due to the level of academic challenge, students with disabilities should carefully consider the decision not to disclose this information. Hybridibility and auxiliary aids will only be provided if identification and appropriate documentation are provided by the student. The need for disability services can always be made known later, but students are encouraged to do so 30 days before the start of the semester or at least within the first two weeks of class. Many services take more time to provide than others.

5. Is there a specific process I must follow to receive services from the disability office?

Yes, there is a step-by step process for disability services which includes completing an application and providing specific documentation before an accommodation plan can be created.

6. How do I apply for disability services?

Click on Application Process for a list of the required documents you will be asked to complete

7. How do I know what kind of documentation is needed for my particular disability?

Check the document guidelines under Documents and Forms Choose the guideline that best fits your situation. It is possible that you might want to choose more than one.

8. May I just use my high school IEP for my documentation?

The University has the right and prefers to require additional documentation because most often the IEP does not provide sufficient documentation. Certainly include it, but use the guideline for more in-depth documentation, especially statement of specific diagnosis.

9. What is an accommodation?

Accommodations include both the tools and procedures used to provide a “level playing field” for students with documented disabilities. Accommodations may allow: extended time in completion of work, change of location to free student from distraction while testing, provision of note-takers or use of laptops, recorders or other devices in the classroom. Accommodations will not reduce learning expectations, threaten the academic standard, integrity of a course or place the institution under undue financial hardship.

10. If I am given accommodations and later realize I should have asked for an additional accommodation, is there any recourse?

Yes, we have a Request for Additional Accommodations form to be completed and returned to the Director of Disability Services.

11. Even if I sign the accommodation plan, may I decide later not to use a particular accommodation in a specific class?

Yes, you may complete the ER Testing Wavier. You may even complete the Return to ER Testing form if you change your mind.

12. How do I give permission for my disability information to be released?

There are two forms:

1) the ODS Release of Information Form-Point for release of information to Point personnel and professionals needing to provide Point with documentation, or

2) the ODS Release of Information for Transfer to another university.

13. How do I contact the Director of Disability Services?

Kathy David
Director of Disability Services

Point University
2450 Piedmont Road NE | Suite 200 |Atlanta, GA 30324
(P) 404-460-2480
(F) 404- 214-0648